why python is slower than java?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 12:57:03 EST 2004

Dan Perl <danperl at rogers.com> wrote:

> Are you learning any new subject now and are you involved in a newsgroup as
> a newbie?  If you're not doing that already, python experts, please try it
> and you'll probably see what it's like.  No better way to see the other
> side's point of view than being on the other side.

What if we do, _AND_ carefully follow Eric Raymond's excellent
recommendations each and every time we ask for help?  Are then we
allowed to loathe and despise the mass of clueless dweebs?-)

I can be a newbie at a bazillion subjects, easily -- but I cannot truly
be a newbie at such tasks as human interaction, social dynamics, general
information retrieval and processing.  I can easily guess what will
happen if I enter any mailing list or newsgroup with both guns blazing
out of frustration, for example, and therefore I cannot easily
sympathize with anybody who _does_ behave so foolishly.  It's not a
matter of expertise about any specific subject, not even exactly one of
skills, but rather one of personal maturity and character.

I know how to search mailing list archives, or google groups ones, and
considerate enough to use this easily acquired and very useful knowledge
to try and avoid wasting other people's time and energy, for example, by
airing some complaint that's been made a thousand times and answered
very comprehensively.  When I can't find an answer that way, I ask with
courtesy and consideration and appreciation for the time of the people
who, I hope, will be answering my questions. Etc, etc -- reread Eric's
essay on how to ask for help, it's a great piece of work.

That doesn't mean a newbie isn't always welcome, _if_ they show any sign
whatever of being worth it.  But asking for tolerance and patience
against _rude_ newbies which barge in with shrill, mostly unjustified,
repetitious complaints, is, I think, a rather far-fetched request.

Alex