Tkinter for system administration?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 6 10:06:08 EST 2004

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> Dave Benjamin wrote:
> > Is Tkinter pretty common for simple behind-the-scenes admin tools where
> > a GUI is required (for instance, data entry tools for non-programmers)
> > or has everybody moved on to wx/GTK/QT/etc.?
>
> Yes. It has the advantage that it is typically available when Python
> and X11 are both available.

...and even when X11 is not available, such as Windows, or Mac (on the
Aqua side of things -- many people don't even bother installing the X11
implementation on their Mac...).

> > For simple tools, is there any
> > reason to switch to one of the more popular GUI frameworks?
>
> No.

I agree.  That's why I chose to cover Tkinter in the Nutshell, even
though I got some surprised comments from some wx fans _and_ from people
I know I prefer Qt: Tkinter is widely available, adequate for simple
tools which need no complicated functionality nor spiffy looks, _and_
simple enough that I could cover its fundamentals in 30 pages, examples
included.

Alex