I don't quite get this "string".find()

Caleb Hattingh caleb1 at telkomsa.net
Thu Nov 11 22:55:57 EST 2004

Steven and Grant (Edwards)

Err...discrete math was never my strong point :)    Still, matching
'emptiness' to non-emptiness is what conceptually raises the problem for
me.  I am not convinced that because there are only 'so many places' to
fit, one is restricted to a finite number of possibilities - simply
because what we are trying fit is 'nothing'.

Of course, I make this claim on nothing more than a hunch and
indigestion.  The field of discrete math must have resolved this kind of
thing at some point, and I'll accept that position.  If that was in fact
the position you two just presented, I apologise.

thx
Caleb