Zope 3.0, and why I won't use it

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sun Nov 14 21:33:31 EST 2004

Istvan Albert wrote:

> Steve Holden wrote:
>
>> You managed to get it to run? I found the whole load opaque beyond
>> belief, and removed it after an hour's examination.
>

> I had no problems whatsoever ... on the other hand I
> been using Zope 2.7 for a more than a year so
> that might have helped me.
>
> In Zope X3 they make a big deal out of interfaces,
> everything seems to revolve around that.
>
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/Zope3Book/interfaces.html
>

> then I looked at this,
>
> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/FrontPage/Zope3Book
>

> totally overwhelming. But I have confidence in
> the Zope developers. I have had good experience with Zope
> in general, did not let me down yet ... in the way
> a few years back for example Tomcat would crash
> if one set a cookie value that had a newline character
> in it.

Well indeed, the developers are a bunch of smart cookies (no pun
intended). But I still await a comprehensible description of how the
whole system works for 2.7, let alone X3 - how to put sites together,
and the best way to achieve various results, and so on.

Searching for information about Zope is a nightmare of broken links and
outdated content that makes it difficult to find one's way through to
the really useful stuff.

regards
  Steve
--