why python is slower than java?

Dave Cook davecook at nowhere.net
Tue Nov 9 00:56:06 EST 2004

In article <87d5ysbkq9.fsf at pop-server.bigpond.net.au>, Israel Raj T wrote:

> On Windows XP, Windows NT and Linux (Gentoo ), I have consistently
> found python apps using wxpython to be far faster to load
> and to be far more responsive than Java apps.

I've casually compared the jython/Swing tree widget with the pygtk tree
widget, both with the same large data set, and the Swing tree widget
responds quite a bit faster than the gtk tree widget (there have been a lot
of complaints about the gtk treeviews slowness).  Obviously the Swing tree
widget is much better optimized.

wxpython runs on top of gtk on Linux, but I don't know if they use the gtk
treeview as a "peer" or work around it and implement their own tree widget.

Dave Cook