GUI frontend for MySQL in wxPython

Paul McNett p at ulmcnett.com
Mon May 17 19:14:10 EDT 2004

David Stockwell writes:

> I'm very new to python as well, but if you are looking to see
> what someone did as an example, take a look at
> http://www.tyomych-proj.narod.ru/readme.usage.htm

PMFJI, but after reading that page I just had to mention Dabo
again in an act of shameless self-promotion, as it has
something that does what this Java program apparently does, yet
persists the output to a GUI application that you can run over
and over on the database, and customize to your needs.

In the dabodemo, there is a script called wizMaintenanceApp.py,
which asks you for connection information and location of
output directory, and then it builds a 3-tier GUI app for you
that lets you specify selection criteria, browse records, and
edit records of each table in the database. You can click on
the browse grid headers to sort each column, and you can resize
and reposition each column.

The resulting application is crude and definitely feels
generated, and it isn't the best general learning tool because
most of the code that does all the work is in the Dabo
framework and not in the generated scripts - you'd be learning
mostly the Dabo API, not how do do this stuff in Python in
general. But it does let you maintain your MySQL databases and
it is written in Python with the wxPython toolkit, so there
should be plenty of example code there to get you going.

Dabo requires Python 2.3 or higher, wxPython 2.5 or higher, and
MySQLdb 0.93a or higher. You need the main dabo package
manually installed to site-packages, and the
wizMaintenanceApp.py is in the separate dabodemo package. You
can get the Dabo packages from:

http://dabodev.com/download

--
Paul