RELEASED Python 2.3.4, release candidate 1

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Mon May 17 04:57:52 EDT 2004

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

>     >> Why do you think the standard and near-universal ./configure
>     >> && make && make install is tedious?
>
>     Joseph> I would avoid installing applications that way, if only for the
>     Joseph> fact that you can't uninstall an application.  Package
>     Joseph> management exists for a reason. And once a package is created,
>     Joseph> installing the application should be a snap.
>
> Submit the necessary magic and I'm sure it would get incorporated into the
> distribution.  I think the basic pieces are there.  Distutils can build RPMs
> I believe.  I know Sean Reifschneider builds RPMs with some small lag time
> after a release.  Perhaps what he does (a spec file?) can be incorporated
> into the distribution and an extra target added to the Makefile to simplify
> building it.

The spec files are in Misc/RPM.  I have no idea what you have to do to
make an rpm from there though (hey, I've only just learnt how to build
binary rpms from .src.rpms after, what, 6 years of being a redhat
user...).

Cheers,
mwh

--
  Some people say that a monkey would bang out the complete works
  of Shakespeare on a typewriter give an unlimited amount of time.