General Ledger/Accounting Libraries

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Tue May 11 10:23:32 EDT 2004

In article <mailman.422.1084270942.25742.python-list at python.org>,
Andreas Pauley  <python-list at qbcon.com> wrote:

>Our company is currently evaluating Python as a language for writing
>financial/accounting type software (among others).
>
>What libraries or packages are available in this domain for use?

The most important library is the new Decimal package, which hasn't been
released for production yet.  You could start by using FixedPoint instead
until Python 2.4.  Unfortunately, neither includes support for some of
the more complicated calculations you want to do; the Python community
will welcome your assistance on this (there are other people who also
want to use Python for financial calculations, and Decimal is the first
step).

>On Sourceforge there's a PHP-based application called "Open Accounting"
>with all the relevant buzzwords in our domain. Something similar in Python
>would be of great help:
>"""
>An easy-to-use, web-based Accounting and Inventory system that features
>Sales, Purchasing, Manufaturing, General Ledger, Accounts Receivable,
>Accounts Payable. Additionally, has multi-currency, advanced tax
>manipulation and multi-language support
>"""

They probably use binary floating point, which means that it doesn't
work.  :-(

Adopt A Process -- stop killing all your children!