General Ledger/Accounting Libraries

Andreas Pauley python-list at qbcon.com
Tue May 11 08:26:34 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Our company is currently evaluating Python as a language for writing
financial/accounting type software (among others).

What libraries or packages are available in this domain for use?
I've had a look at Quantlib, but it doesn't seem like exactly the type of
library we're interested in.
The programmers are looking for something that can be used as a General
Ledger, or be used to implement a General Ledger.
They're also looking for libraries that can help in the calculation of
various types of interest rates, for example.

On Sourceforge there's a PHP-based application called "Open Accounting"
with all the relevant buzzwords in our domain. Something similar in Python
would be of great help:
"""
An easy-to-use, web-based Accounting and Inventory system that features
Sales, Purchasing, Manufaturing, General Ledger, Accounts Receivable,
Accounts Payable. Additionally, has multi-currency, advanced tax
manipulation and multi-language support
"""

Thanks,
Andreas