perl to python

Ville Vainio ville at spammers.com
Fri May 14 01:35:06 EDT 2004

    Andy> Here is a small feline amongst the pigeons...  Surely
    Andy> support for regular expressions is 'un-pythonic'?

Of course it isn't.

    Andy> If you like regex's then any missing awk/sed functionality
    Andy> could be a Python module too?

Indeed. Now we just need to know what the missing functionality
is. What is easy in awk or sed and hard in Python? Regexps, at least,
are arguably *better* in Python.

    Andy> (If you don't like regex's and never use them in Python then
    Andy> you have earned the right to be consistent in your dismissal
    Andy> of awk and sed too!)

I don't really understand what you are saying. I just don't see the
point in awk and sed. If implementing something in a general purpose
language takes 20% longer than doing the same thing in a specialized
language, and there exists even a remote possiblity of having to
extend/reuse the solution, I wouldn't give the special purpose
language a second thought.

--
Ville Vainio   http://tinyurl.com/2prnb