Multimedia extensions Framework

Dmitry Borisov jbors at mail.ru
Sun May 23 13:49:42 EDT 2004

Guys,
Just wanted to get some feedback and ideas/help for a complete multimedia Framework for Python. It is in development phase now and the goal for it is to make the mutlimedia a snap with Python.
    It shall be fairly easy to write in Python a DVD player, USB camera mp4 capture or video/audio editing software.
    It shall be portable and small.
    It shall be fast and reliable.
    It shall be simply expandable.
At this time I focus in these areas:
    1. Audio processing( encoding/decoding/posprocessing/analysing )
    2. Video processing( encoding/decoding/posprocessing/analysing )
    3. Direct multimedia devices access. DVD/CD-ROMs, PCI Soundcards
    4. USB drivers in Python for universal architecture across the platforms. You write a driver just once, then just run it on a different platform...

Did I miss anything ?

At this time bullets 1-3 are implemented at 90%( http://pymedia.sourceforge.net ). Some functionality still in test, some still needs to be written. Bullet 4 is completelly at the design stage and that's where I want your feedback and thoughts.

>From my prospective I want to be able to write drivers for USB devices in Python. It may include:
    - usb storages
    - usb camcorders
    - usb tv cards
    - usb sound cards
    - usb FM/XM receivers
    - etc.
The architecture would be very similar to jUSB ( http://www.steelbrothers.ch/jusb/api/usb/windows/package-summary.html ) with some Python specific changes. Also it will work on all platforms supported by pymedia( Windows/Linux as of now ).

If anyone has any experience with doing USB specific bindings in Python or want to participate or give feedback, I would be more than happy to hear from you.

Thank you,
Dmitry/

PS: I want to apologies for OT if any, but didn't really found any SIGs for that.