Multimedia extensions Framework

"?=Dmitry Borisov=?koi8-r?Q?" jbors at mail.ru
Mon May 24 18:13:34 EDT 2004

"Roger Binns" wrote:

> For other stuff such as storage, you will just be a lot slower than a
> kernel level driver.  (As an example I get about a 3rd the speed from
> Python than kernel drivers when dealing with a device that is just
> bulk data).

May be packing data into bigger chunks or making a bigger transactions will help ? I think it could be tuned...

> The other reason for having kernel level drivers is so that the
> devices appear "normally" and can be used by other programs
> (eg an audio device appearing as a normal OS level audio device).

Absolutely agree in general. But if you consider embedded world, it will be apps running under the common framework( 1 level higher than OS, ex. python vm, .net vm, java vm ), so it may be not that critical to have kernel drivers, whereas it would be more beneficial to have simpler drivers for a lots of different devices/gadgets...

Thanks,
Dmitry/