Python - open forever ?

A. Lloyd Flanagan alloydflanagan at comcast.net
Thu May 13 17:49:53 EDT 2004

"Romans Krjukovs" <Romans.Krjukovs at lattelekom.lv> wrote in message news:<mailman.511.1084452958.25742.python-list at python.org>...
> Hi !
>
> - There is a risk that Python can become closed and unsupported in the
> future.
>   (Remember RedHat ?)
Even if someone were to come out with a version of python which was
closed and unsupported, they can't stop you from using the versions
that have already been released -- the python license is pretty clear
about that.
The other response is, who would do it?  A number of companies,
organizations, and individuals currently develop and support python.
If one came out with a version to which they made some other license
claim, the rest would simply ignore that version, and you could to.

> - Who can guarantee that Python will be usable and available  to us if
> it is
>   develeped and maintained by the hackers from all over the world
> without
>   any obligations and guarantees ?
Is the version of python as it is right now usable?  If so, it will
always be available, no matter what.

> - How we can minimize such risk ? (Become a member of some club,
>   buy licenses, support etc.)
Doesn't IBM support python now?  I'm sure a number of smaller
companies do.