simple http server

Kevin Altis altis at semi-retired.com
Wed Mar 17 13:31:41 EST 2004

"Gelo Ilzi" <geloilzi at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:c39rul$dri$1 at news2.netvision.net.il...
> I'm trying to implement a very simple http server with cgi functionality.
> The code is simple:
>
>    import CGIHTTPServer, BaseHTTPServer
>    httpd = BaseHTTPServer.HTTPServer(('',8000),
> CGIHTTPServer.CGIHTTPRequestHandler)
>    httpd.serve_forever()
>
> I've created a subdir 'cgi-bin' which contains a python script. Now when I
> enter this directory, i.e., go to the url http://localhost:8000/cgi-bin/
my
> browser shows:
>
>    Error response
>    Error code 403.
>    Message: CGI script is not a plain file ('/cgi-bin/').
>    Error code explanation: 403 = Request forbidden -- authorization will
not
> help.
>
> Plain html pages are ok.
>
> It seems I misunderstand something very basical. Could somebody help me
> please.
>
> Thank you in advance.

That is correct behavior, you can't browse the cgi-bin directory. Put a CGI
script in that directory like the one below to dump the environment
variables and then go directly to that URL. Depending on your platform and
location of Python, you might have to change the first line, but this will
verify your CGIs are working.

ka
---

#!/usr/local/bin/python
print "Content-type: text/html\r\n\r\n",
print '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">'
print "<html><body>"
print "<pre>"
import os, sys
from cgi import escape
print "<strong>Python %s</strong>" % sys.version
keys = os.environ.keys()
keys.sort()
for k in keys:
    print "%s\t%s" % (escape(k), escape(os.environ[k]))
print "</pre>"
print "</body></html>"