problem with cjkcodecs on Mandrake linux

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Mar 17 14:11:23 EST 2004

Anthony Liu wrote:
> Now, if I issue 'locale', I get:
>
> LANG=zh_CN.GB2312
> LC_CTYPE=en_US
> LC_NUMERIC=en_US
> LC_TIME=en_US
> LC_COLLATE=en_US
> LC_MONETARY=en_US
> LC_MESSAGES=en_US
> LC_PAPER=en_US
> LC_NAME=en_US
> LC_ADDRESS=en_US
> LC_TELEPHONE=en_US
> LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US
> LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US
> LC_ALL=
>
> Notice that LANG=zh_CN.GB2312, which seems to be what
> I want, but still when I run the following script:

The problem is that the other settings are still for
en_US. You need to unset all other variables, in particular

unset LC_CTYPE

Alternatively, set all other LC_ variables to zh_CN.GB2312
as well.

It is a very bad style of your Linux distribution to set
all LC_ variables explicitly - they should be set only if
one needs to override LANG for a specific setting.

Regards,
Martin