fox 1.2.x and FXPy

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Mon Mar 22 18:04:07 EST 2004

Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu> writes:

> >> Is there any plan to make bindings of the future fox toolkit 1.2.x for
> >> python? New widgets, antialiased fonts and so on is a "Good Thing".
> >>
> >> GTK is a pain, wxpython is horribly slow, and tkinter doesn't have
> >                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Your experience is clearly at odds with what most other people
> > report about wxPython.  (And, I might add, about GTK, as far as I
> > can tell, though I haven't used it myself.)
>
> Agreed.  I've never felt wxPython was slow, and have heard that PyGTK
> is comparable (in terms of features, ease of use, etc.) to wxPython.

Well, as long as you don't include startup time I'd agree, but it is a
bit bloated in terms of loading that initial support DLL, which
includes potentially far more of wxWindows (oops, wxWidgets) than a
given application needs.

Of course, you could rebuild the DLL removing support for the various
stuff you don't currently need, but that's not too convenient for
maintaining over time, and not everyone has the facilities for
rebuilding the wxPython DLL from wxWidgets source.

I seem to recall reading that 2.5.x might contain (or support)
fracturing the main monolithic DLL into well-defined smaller pieces
that hopefully will improve this.

-- David