Tkinter3000

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Tue Mar 16 17:24:21 EST 2004

In article <mailman.43.1079467270.742.python-list at python.org>,
Stewart Midwinter  <stewart at midtoad.homelinux.org> wrote:
			.
>I've been studying Tkinter with an eye to using it to protoype new GUI ideas
>for a commercial application we have written in Java (and for my own
>enjoyment, of course!).  My thought is that we could show customers several
>variations on new displays that would take less time to develop in Python than
>just one new display would in Java.   We already use Python for client-server
>communications and a number of other functions, so it's logical to extend its
>use in this way.  (I even wonder whether it might be a good idea to actually
>replace the Java, but that's a topic for another day...).
>
>I've got a basic GUI set up that opens desired windows, etc.  But I'm at a
>point where I need functionality. For example, I need to be able to fetch
>information from a server and display it in real time in a Tkinter widget.
>And this is where I hit a roadbloack: the Tkinter documentation I've read so
>far (Fredrik Lundh's on-line guide, the UNM.edu book, and some others) talk
>exclusively about how to draw widgets, not how to *use* widgets.
>
>If the proposed list / wiki addresses those needs, it will certainly be useful
>to *me*, and probably to many others.
>
>Maybe it will even spur some renewed interest in expanding or extending the
>widget set.
			.
			.
			.
I'm all in favor of Tkinter as a vehicle for trying out ideas;
I certainly do it myself.  For your situation, have you considered
Jython?  My bet is that would give you a comparable boost in pro-
ductivity.

Back to Tkinter:  are you familiar with textvariables?  How do you
access realtime database contents when you are NOT using Tkinter?
--

Cameron Laird <claird at phaseit.net>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net