OT(Slightly): Thanks to Python.

JanC usenet_spam at janc.invalid
Tue Mar 9 16:25:56 EST 2004

Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> schreef:

> - Note that item is bound to objects of completely different types
>   (integer, string, list, hash-table and array, in this case) at
>   different times. (This _does_ mean that it's dynamically typed.)

Yes, but 2 of the "method versions" use statically typed parameters.
So it seems this is a language that gives you the choice between dynamic
and static typing.

Without this (optional) static typing in the language, there is no way to
have these method versions for different parameter types.  I suppose that's
what John Roth was thinking about when he said "but there's no way it's
going to happen in a language that doesn't have static typing".

> Perhaps you thought that it doesn't look like dynamic typing because
> of superficial similarities with C++ method overloading:

I don't know C++ (well almost no C++), so I don't think so.  ;-)

--
JanC