vim & python

Tobias Klausmann klausman-un0304 at schwarzvogel.de
Mon Mar 1 17:09:32 EST 2004

sb <spam_bait101 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've heard the biggest python gurus use vim. *Please* post some
> screenshots of you in action - some interesting things like
>    - calltips,
>    - editor-shell interaction
>    - reference manual invocation by keyword from within the editor
>    - object browser,
>    - etc.
> Or are you using vim just like C coders do?

While definitely not being a guru I use vims Syntax highlighting
plus these settings for all files ending in .py:

highlight Comment ctermfg=white

set smartindent
cinwords=if,elif,else,for,while,try,except,finally,def,class
set tabstop=4
set shiftwidth=4
set smarttab
set expandtab
set softtabstop=4
set autoindent

Depending on your style of coding you might want to tune them,
but they're pointers. They most probably have room for
improvement, too.

As for calltips, shell interaction and all the othe nifty stuff:
I don't use it. And while they sometimes sound cool I always
ended up being more annoyed than helped by them.

Greets,
Tobias

--
Thank you for calling  $PROVIDER helpdesk. If your cupholder is
broken, please press 1. If you want an actual knowledgable support