wine as a platform independent GUI toolkit

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Thu Mar 11 01:19:41 EST 2004

brian at chrissyandbrian.com (Brian) wrote:

>http://www.python.org/doc/faq/gui.html lists the Python
>interfaces/wrappers/bindings to various widget sets (Tcl/Tk,
>wxWindows, Qt, GTk+, FLTK, FOX, and OpenGL).  I'm surprised that
>nothing exists for wine.  The only solution I can think of is to
>install the win32 python and Pythonwin, but this seems akward to me.
>Is there any way for me to run a python script natively on linux that
>drives a win32 gui (running with wine).  In other words, is there any
>way to hook into the Wine widget toolkit?

Wine doesn't have a widget toolkit.  Wine just provides enough hooks so
that Win32 programs (and user32.dll) can draw their own widgets.

Theoretically, if you copied a Win32 Python installation to Linux, you
might be able to win32gui to draw things via Wine, or even the Win32 port
of wxWidgets, but that would be silly.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.