[Fwd: Re: examples of doing syadmin activities as a web app]

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Sat Mar 27 18:24:18 EST 2004

> I've looked at it briefly (if I recall it is written in Perl).  I may
>
> - Are there any Python based examples?
> - Is webmin well designed? (Not trying to troll, just curious if it is
> well thought out or just a hack)
>
> If any of you were to design such a beast (web based system admin
> tool) from scratch which framework would you consider a good match?

The main thing I've thought of doing is creating an XML-RPC based
solution for admin'ing boxes. That way you could have some competition
as to the user interfaces and could get some tools for managing clusters
of systems in that way. Possibly make it so if a normal web browser
connects to the web admin server then it's presented with a default UI
as well as a section documenting the XML-RPC interface. If an XML-RPC
client connects to the same server it can work with the system in it's
own way. I think that'd combine ease of use with flexibility.