Utterly OT:[Was Re: Need better string methods]

rzed rzantow at ntelos.net
Sat Mar 6 18:59:28 EST 2004

David MacQuigg <dmq at gain.com> wrote in
news:0d4k40987t6d70bahqil3geth640bufgoc at 4ax.com:

> [...]     Here is a typical line of garbage from a
> statefile revision control system (simplified to eliminate some
> items that pose no new challenges):
>
> line = "..../bgref/stats.stf| SPICE | 3.2.7  | John    Anderson
> \n"
>
> The problem is to break this into its component parts, and
> eliminate spaces and other gradoo.

[UTTERLY OFFTOPIC QUESTION]:
This "gradoo" of which you speak ... where did you learn the word? I
only ask, because I know (and use) "gradeau", pronounced like I
imagine "gradoo" would be pronounced, to mean miscellaneous cruft or
garbage ... but I've only ever heard it used by a small group of
people who, as far as I know, originated the use of the word in Green
Bay, Wisconsin, in the mid-1970's.

[returning now to regular programming...]

--
rzed