Extending Python Syntax with @

Pierre Rouleau prouleau at impathnetworks.com
Wed Mar 10 21:59:12 EST 2004

  > Wouldn't it be nice, for example, if instead of special keywords like
> 'lambda' and 'yield', we had used '@(args)' and '@return'.  ( No, I'm
> not advocating we go back and change what has been done.)  In both
> these cases, we had a well-established syntax that needed a slight
> variation.

It would not be nice for me either.  I *much* prefer the explicit way of
Python using explicit keywords than cryptic one.  And besides, if typing
is an issue, then an editor can be programmed to extend the words as you
type or insert the keywords.

I really don't see what benefit it would do to Python which is easy to
learn as it is.

IMHO, I'd stay away from these 'nice' (?) tricks.

Sorry... I do like the zen of the current Python.

Pierre Rouleau