what editor do you use?

Oliver Fromme olli at haluter.fromme.com
Mon Jun 28 13:14:11 EDT 2004

Christopher T King <squirrel at wpi.edu> wrote:
 > On 28 Jun 2004, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Sticks <barton_finkle at hotmail.com> wrote:
 > > > i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
 > >
 > > joe.
 > >
 > > > and why.
 > >
 > > Because my fingers are used to it for 20 years.
 >
 > I'll put in a second vote for JOE (though I only have 6 years of Ctrl-K
 > commands ingrained in my memory). The recently released JOE 3.0 includes
 > syntax coloring support. It's a very simple editor, but does just about
 > everything you'd expect from a decent IDE, and then some. If you don't
 > like WordStar keys, it'll emulate EMACS and Pico, too.

It's only "simple" on the surface.  If you've gone through
your ~/.joerc once, you've noticed that you can configure
it to do quite a lot of things.  Using its ability to bind
arbitrary sequences of commands (and even external scripts)
to key combinations, you can configure it to do very complex
tasks.

It doesn't have an automatic de-dent, though.  I don't need
it for Python as I use standard tabs, but sometimes I would
like to have that feature for other types of text files.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Konrad-Celtis-Str. 72, 81369 Munich, Germany

``All that we see or seem is just a dream within a dream.''
(E. A. Poe)