what editor do you use?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Tue Jun 29 17:45:43 EDT 2004

Caleb Hattingh wrote:

>> i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to
>> use and why.
>>
> I have a strong Windows background, and am finding this is hurting me
> in Linux :)

Me too.  I'm still in the middle of the transition to Linux.

Since I mostly work in Python, my primary need was to find a strong
Python IDE that was fairly close to PythonWin (my windows editor of
choice for Python).  So far there are only two competitors left (for me):

    * SciTE -- cross platform, fairly robust, simple and fast, but
      configuring it to use decent fonts is a PITA (I have never managed
      it).  Feels much like a kit from which you could build an editor
      (almost every other Python editor is built using SciTE's Scintilla
      control).
    * Eric3 -- provides "intellisense" or whatever you want to call it
      (code-completion), tabbed interface, pretty much Win32-friendly
      key-bindings (with the exception of Alt-F|eXit not working).
      Current version doesn't have drag-and-drop or single-instance
      support (I'm planning to hack those in and contribute them back),
      but that's about the only significant problem I've encountered so
      far.  Eric isn't a *lightweight* product like PythonWin (which
      starts almost instantly on the same hardware where Eric takes many
      wall-clock seconds to start), but it does do just about everything
      I need for productive Python hacking on Linux.

Just in case there are other PythonWin lovers out there making the switch,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/