what editor do you use?

Caleb Hattingh caleb1 at telkomsa.net
Tue Jun 29 23:05:59 EDT 2004

> i'm new to python and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use
> and why.

I have a strong Windows background, and am finding this is hurting me in
Linux :)

I have checked out almost every free text editor on the Windows platform.
For a substantial time, my favourite was ConText.  About 9 months ago I
discovered a text editor called 'syn'.  On Windows, this editor has
everything I want in a general-purpose text editor.  If you are a windows
user, I *highly* recommend you check this editor out.  I use it for LaTeX,
python, objectpascal, FORTRAN, C, VB and others at work.

At home, I am running Mandrake 10.  I am struggling to find a text editor
that I can migrate to easily.  For example, I think kate is superb (the
code-folding is a godsend), but I would like be able to customize a menu,
or add buttons in order to run shell commands (doing this in syn is
trivially easy).  kate has a built-in terminal, but it ain't the same.  A
tabbed layout would also be nice, rather than the file-selector.

I know emacs and vi/vim are super-powerful, but significant time is
required (for me, I guess) to learn how to use them effectively.

If someone has had a look at ConText or Syn, and knows of a very similar
text-editor for Linux, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks
Caleb