HTTP Proxy server in python

fishboy fishboy at spamspamspam.com
Tue Jun 1 05:05:27 EDT 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004 23:13:33 -0600 (MDT), Muhammad Ali
<muhammad_ali at spymac.com> wrote:

>If proxy server is a good idea, could someone give me an outline of how to do it?
>for example, should i use a database for users (mysql?) or just a text file. How
>would
>i know if a user has logged off? any links on the net?

Well, my first thought is to write a script to harrass them
mercilessly with emails whenever they use the internet too much.

But at far as proxy, Squid is a proxy and runs on win2k.  Hmmm,
outline:

1. Setup Squid
	a. require passwords to use proxy
2. Setup python to analyze access.log
	a. analyzing the output of a 'tail -f' would give you on the
	fly data.
	b. change the password of anyone over usage
	c. change password back when they have more minutes.

If they all had static IPs, you could block them with ACLs instead of
passwords.

Alternatly, you could hit them with a stick when they use too much
internet.  People don't like being hit with sticks.  They'd prolly
stop.

It's the middle of the night here, and I'm sure someone else may have
a better idea, if this doesn't make sense.