Queue module and Python Documentation Rant

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Thu Jun 17 22:35:00 EDT 2004

Bart Nessux wrote:
> > Where??? The documentation for the module named Queue says nothing at
> > all about this...
> >
> > http://docs.python.org/lib/module-Queue.html
>
> You're right... at the bottom of the page, there is a subsection.
> qsize() is there. In frustration, I overlooked it.

In this particular case it is because the module name and the class
within are same name.  For most modules, they differ.  The top page
contains an overview of the module and then the subsections/next
button take you through each of the classes provided.

Although even that style is followed in some places such as mailbox
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-mailbox.html it isn't followed in
others such as the textwrap module
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-textwrap.html

Unfortunately I don't see what you could have done to spot the
following page other than looking at the bottom.  Even if you
use the CHM docs, they only point to the front page (even
for the "Queue (class)" index entry) rather than the actual
doc page for the Queue class (ie the following page).

Roger