Searching for the best scripting language,

Carl Banks imbosol at aerojockey.invalid
Mon Jun 14 21:06:45 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Carl Banks wrote:
>> Heh.  It seems to me that, by the same reasoning, we could claim that
>> Python has verbose execution.  Someone's obviously willing to give
>> Perl the benefit of the doubt here, but not Python.  I smell
>> shenanigans.
>
> I tried a few Google searches, even apparently reaching the page that
> started this thread, but I can't see what "verbose execution" might
> mean other than (a guess) a "trace" mode which prints something for
> every line executed as the interpreter runs.  And, if that's really
> what it is, then Python does have the capability pretty easily, via
> sys.settrace().  (Which I'm sure Carl knows, therefore I assume my
> guess is wrong.)

I took it to mean the same thing you did (you might note that shell
scripts are listed as having verbose execution, which pretty much can
only mean that one thing).

My point was, Perl's interactive interpretter isn't "real"; to get it,
you have to invoke the debugger, or use a little Perl program to get
the effect.  Likewise, Python's verbose execution isn't "real"; you
can't get it with a simple command line argument.  You have to define
a settrace function.

Yet, they list Perl as having an interactive interpretter, by Python
as not having verbose execution.  Smells like a someone has an
unconscious bias here.

--
CARL BANKS                      http://www.aerojockey.com/software
"If you believe in yourself, drink your school, stay on drugs, and