Looking for a different version of sort

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Thu Jun 17 11:58:46 EDT 2004

"Brian McGonigle" <BigsyNY at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:8a4484e4.0406161449.539a0827 at posting.google.com...
> It's the second edition I'm reading, which covers Python 2.3. By the
> way, what's the most common release? In Perl, I consider anything
> older than 5.6 ancient and don't consider backwards compatability
> beyond that point. Since programming is just a hobby, and I don't have
> any customers, that's easy to do. For instance, I saw somewhere that
> in 1.5 and prior, dir() wasn't available and you would have to use the
> __method__ method or something similar to that. Should I worry about
> stuff that old?

Given your lack of commercial need to do do, my advice is don't worry about
anything prior to 2.3 unless you are a language evolution buff.  Most of
the differences in older code are things you will not see (that have been
added).  The most likely 'old' thing you might see in 2.2 code is

from __future__ import generators

which was needed then to have yield recognized, but is not needed now since
2.3 *is* the future referred to.  There was a different now-unneeded future
import in 2.1.  For most of us, anything prior to 2.0 is pretty ancient,
even if we started Python before then.

If you are curious, the "What's New" page for each release is available
somewhere on the site for several releases back.

Terry J. Reedy