Windows XP - cron or scheduler for Python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jun 21 02:26:25 EDT 2004

Eric @ Zomething wrote:

> I'm trying to have some scripts run periodically on Windows XP and found the "Task Scheduler" did not execute my scripts.  My scripts are of the form scriptName.py, and will run just by invoking that name in the Command Prompt.
>
> Has anyone used the Windows Task Scheduler to run .py scripts, and if so is there some intracacy to it?

I had not tried it, so I just did.  My first attempt failed.  As it
turned out, it was because I ignore the password field, assuming
it would be able to run anyway while I was logged in.  The "status"
field in the Task Scheduler window showed the reason... once I
fixed that, it did work, either as "c:/tick.py" (make sure you
include the right path here or in the "start in this folder" field)
or as "c:/a/python23/python.exe c:/tick.py".

If it's not working, double-check the status field to see why it
didn't work...

-Peter