wxPython on GTK

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 18 20:14:10 EDT 2004

Batista, Facundo wrote:

> In this context, I got worried when a friend of mine (codeveloper of sigefi)
> could not install PyNSource because wxPythonGTK been always using private
> methods from GTK, and now that GTK does not have them anymore, don't work.
>
> The bug is 915333
> (http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=915333&group_id=98
> 63&atid=109863).
>
> The problem is that it's actually closed but not fixed, so I'm worried about
> the viability of wxPython in GTK.

My _guess_ is they'll have to fix it, and sooner rather than later.  Wx is in
widespread use under Linux, and they managed to break it completely under
(among others) Fedora Core 2:

In [2]: import wx
ImportError                               Traceback (most recent call last)

/home/fperez/code/python/vis3d/<console>

/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wx/__init__.py
     43 __revision__ = "$Revision: 1.1.2.4 $"[11:-2]
     44
---> 45 from wxPython import wx
     46
     47 _newnames = {}

/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/wxPython/__init__.py
     18 # Ensure the main extension module is loaded, in case the add-on
modules
     19 # (such as utils,) are used standalone.
---> 20 import wxc
     21
     22
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------

ImportError: /usr/lib/libwx_gtk2-2.4.so.0: undefined symbol:
_gtk_accel_group_detach

Essentially in Fedora2, Wx is unusable.

I honestly doubt they can leave such a catastrophic bug alive for long, they'd
shoot themselves in the foot by losing all users, as linux distros migrate
over to current GTK.

So I suspect public pressure will help fix this soon, though I honestly wish it
hadn't happened in the first place (I've lost the usage of some code which
relied on wx).

Cheers,