Why did no one invent Python before?

Lothar Scholz llothar at web.de
Fri Jun 4 14:03:17 EDT 2004

Michael Sparks <zathras at thwackety.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.589.1086360820.6949.python-list at python.org>...

> Taking that same jump to extremes, *if* CPU cycle availability continues
> to scale for the next 10-15 years, the same tests would take around 1.2
> seconds, meaning the entire test suite _might_be possible to run during
> program startup. At that point new languages and programming techniques
> might become _practical_ which aren't practical today.
>
> At that point, someone might come along and say "I can't believe how much
> more productive I am with the built in runtime system diagnostic testing,
> and automated algorithm anealling that Foobarr offers.  It made me want to
> quit my Python job.  Well, not quite.  ;-)".

That already happened: the language is called Eiffel.

Checking all pre- and postconditions and invariants on each call was
terrible slow when i started my project with a PIV 400 MHz. It was
mostly impossible to use on normal size data sets. Now i use a PIV
2800 and give away my product (http://www.ruby-ide.com :-) with all
runtime checks enabled. This makes my programming style much much
better.