Why did no one invent Python before?

jmdeschamps jmdeschamps at cvm.qc.ca
Fri Jun 4 11:59:26 EDT 2004

Steve Lamb <grey at despair.dmiyu.org> wrote in message news:<slrncbuo35.i05.grey at dmiyu.org>...
> On 2004-06-03, Roy Smith <roy at panix.com> wrote:
> > All python did was provide a good programming environment.
>
>     That's not all.  There is one thing that I've heard more about Python than
> any other language.  People, myself included, say it is fun to program in
> Python.  Fun.  I find programming neat but I would never say that my time
> programming in Turbo Pascal or Perl was fun.  :)

For me, fun is making things in software, principaly divising and
designing it. Python is the best compromise of a better-faster-easier
get-the-thing-done programming environment I've seen. (Well, maybe
Hypercard!)
So the fun in Python is in its unobtrusiveness and its simplicity to
get things to work, fast.
See the listing below ;),

Jean-Marc

For context of appraisal, interesting programming
environments/languages I've tried/worked with over the years, looking
for the Holy Grail :
Prolog,  Smalltalk, Hypercard (also SuperCard, ToolBook (windows),
Craftman (NeXT)), VIP, Prograph, Double Helix (DBMS), Visual Basic
(Yeh! food), C++Builder, Java/NetBeans