OT: Cryptography puzzle

Christos TZOTZIOY Georgiou tzot at sil-tec.gr
Wed Jun 2 09:21:26 EDT 2004

On Wed, 02 Jun 2004 09:52:58 +0200, rumours say that David Fraser
<davidf at sjsoft.com> might have written:

>Greg Ewing wrote:
>> Christian Gudrian wrote:
>>
>>> And what about the 'ss' in 'ssfd'?  I don't know many languages that
>>> allow
>>> words to start with two identical letters.
>>

>> Obviously it's "my hovercraft is full of eels" with
>> several spelling mistakes.
>>

>The attached program shows that there is no one-to-one mapping of
>characters that will result in this string matching words from
>/usr/share/dict/words (at least on my machine)

[snip code]

I think Richard Brodie's remark about locality of the letters was enough
to deduce that the "encrypted" text is just random keypresses.  I also
think the joke is actually a well-intended prank: readers might take it
more seriously than they should, and start writing code to decrypt the
text :)
--
TZOTZIOY, I speak England very best,
"I have a cunning plan, m'lord" --Sean Bean as Odysseus/Ulysses