How to get process info from python

Gardner Pomper gardner at networknow.org
Tue Jun 8 20:03:16 EDT 2004

Nick,

AIX does not seem to support the -o format syntax. What I am using is
"ps -lf" which seems to give me as much information as possible. I also,
optionally, add "-u user" if I need to get all the information for a user,
instead of just for the current tty process tree.

Currently, all I am using is the cmd line, but since there doesn't seem to
be any other way to get the memory information for the process from python,
I will need to start using the SZ column. Here is what I have so far
(hopefully 129 lines of code is not too much to post in the group. If it is,
I apologize)

#!/usr/bin/env python
import string
import commands
import emea
from optparse import OptionParser
#
class ProcessStatus :
    def __init__(self,header,status):
        self.uid = ''
        self.pid = ''
        self.ppid = ''
        self.priority = ''
        self.nice = ''
        self.size = ''
        self.start = ''
        self.time = ''
        self.cmd = ''
        headings = header.split()
        headings.remove('WCHAN')
        #
        #	-----	find the char position of the WCHAN, STIME
        #	-----	TTY and CMD headings
        #
        wchan_pos = string.index(header,'WCHAN')
        stime_pos = string.index(header,'STIME')
        tty_pos = string.index(header,'TTY')
        cmd_pos = string.index(header,'CMD',stime_pos)
        #
        #	-----	cut the status line before WCHAN because
        #       -----   that is often blank
        #
        n = string.rindex(status,' ',0,wchan_pos)
        status1 = status[:n-1]
        fields = status1.split()

        if string.find(status,'<defunct>') < 0 :
            #
            #	-----	the stime is all the chars between
            #       -----   STIME and TTY
            #
            x = string.rindex(status,' ',0,stime_pos)
            y = string.rindex(status,' ',stime_pos,tty_pos)
            sTime = string.strip(status[x:y])
            fields.append( sTime)
            #
            #	-----	the TTY and TIME fields are all the chars
            #       -----   between TTY and CMD
            #
            max_pos = cmd_pos + 5
            if max_pos > len(status)-1 :
                max_pos = len(status) - 1
            m = string.rindex(status,':',tty_pos,max_pos)
            n = string.index(status,' ',m)
            status2 = status[y+1:n].strip()
            fields.extend(status2.split())
            #
            #	-----	CMD is the rest of the line
            #
            status3 = status[n:].strip()
            fields.append(status3)

        try :
            for h,y in map(None,headings,fields) :
                if h == 'UID' :
                    self.uid = y
                elif h == 'PID' :
                    self.pid = y
                elif h == 'PPID' :
                    self.ppid = y
                elif h == 'PRI' :
                    self.priority = y
                elif h == 'NI':
                    self.nice = y
                elif h == 'SZ' :
                    self.size = y
                elif h == 'STIME' :
                    self.start = y
                elif h == 'TIME' :
                    self.time = y
                elif h == 'CMD' :
                    if string.find(status,'<defunct>') >= 0 :
                        self.cmd = '<defunct>'
                    else:
                        self.cmd = y

        except Exception, error :
            logger = emea.get_logger()
            logger.exception(error)
            raise Exception(error)

    def __str__(self) :
        return "UID %s PID %s PPID %s PRI %s NI %s SZ %s STIME %s TIME %s
CMD %s" \
              %(self.uid,self.pid,self.ppid,self.priority,self.nice,
                self.size,self.start,self.time,self.cmd)

def ps(user=None) :
    options = ''
    if user == 'all' :
        options += ' -e'
    elif user != None :
        options += ' -u ' + user
    cmd = 'ps -lf ' + options
    ps_result = commands.getoutput(cmd)
    lines = ps_result.splitlines()
    psList = []
    for l in lines[1:] :
        psList.append(ProcessStatus(lines[0],l))
    return psList
#
#
#	-----
#
if __name__ == "__main__" :
    parser = OptionParser()
    parser.add_option("", "--user",action="store",dest="user",
                      help="user to do ps for")
    parser.add_option("","--log",action="store",dest="log",
                      default="emea_auto.log",help="name of log file")
    parser.add_option("","--verbose",action="store_true",dest="verbose",
                      help="verbose mode (for debugging)")
    (options,args) = parser.parse_args()
    #
    # ----- define logging
    #
    emea.set_logger('process_status',options.log,options.verbose)
    psList = ps(options.user)
    for p in psList:
        print p