Good IDE for Python

Dominic nomail at nospam.no
Sun Jun 13 05:00:21 EDT 2004

Kamilche wrote:
> I love Python, but I'm less than in love with IDLE. It's OK, but it
> really doesn't have enough capabilities.
>
> What I consider critical, are a popdown listing of all my functions,
> colored syntax printing, and a right-click 'definition' context menu
> that will hop you to the spot where that keyword is defined, if
> possible. Everything else I could learn to do without, but these
> features keep me hoping for a better IDE for Python.
>
> I'm used to the Microsoft Visual C++ debugger, and though tooltip
> variable debugging and intellisense were nice, they broke often enough
> that you couldn't rely on them anyway, so I don't really need those
> features.
>
> I would also like the ability to create application 'forms' visually.
> I'm on a Windows XP machine.
>
> Any suggestions on what I should install next?
Latest jEdit has support for a Python-plugin
which is able to parse Python and display
methods/classes in separate pane and it can
be used to access the Python shell and it has
support for debugging. :-)
Source editing and navigation is fine, though
debugging seems to need some more work.
This plugin is still in development.
The Tk based editors tend to get too slow
on my PIII 800 MHz on XP 128MB, the longer the app
runs and the bigger the source code amount gets...

Ciao,
  Dominic