SNMP Toolkit

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Thu Jun 24 18:38:40 EDT 2004

In article <m3llic61zx.fsf at hare.demon.co.uk>,
 Les Smithson <lsmithso at NOhare.SPAM.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>     Matthew> I have found any number of native COM/.NET/ASP/etc C++
>     Matthew> SNMP toolkits and tried using the Python Win32 extensions
>     Matthew> to talk to them but I just don't understand enough about
>     Matthew> low-level Win32 calls, event handling etc to get them to
>     Matthew> work, particularly as the code examples typically expect
>     Matthew> you to either be using Visual C++ or Visual Basic.
>
>     Matthew> Thanks anyway, Matthew.
>
> I have to ask this - did you look at snmpy
> (http://snmpy.sourceforge.net)? This uses ucd-snmp/net-snmp for the
> grunt. It doesn't claim to be ported to Windows, but net-snmp is, and
> the C module in snmpy doesn't *look* that difficult to build on
> Windows.

What have been people's experiences with snmpy?  The last time I looked
at it (over a year ago), I had troubles building it (on linux) because
it had dependencies on an oldish version of net-snmp.

I do a lot of SNMP work, but have never really found a good python SNMP
package.  I looked at PySNMP (the pure python one) but never managed to
get that to work either.  It also just seems wrong to be doing all the
low-level BER and packet building stuff in Python.