Time delay loop - better way?

David Fraser davidf at sjsoft.com
Mon Jul 5 06:10:56 EDT 2004

Anthony Baxter wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 00:50:40 -0700, Josiah Carlson <jcarlson at uci.edu> wrote:
>
>>I have used wxTimers for doing asyncore.poll() scheduling every 1/100th
>>a second, and it seemed to work pretty reliably on my celeron 400.
>

> On Windows, shtoom was completely unable to use the wxTimer approach -
> it's timer precision is just horrific. We ended up splitting the UI
> off into a separate thread than all the time-senstive network stuff. I
> will admit that shtoom's requirements are a hell of a lot harsher than
> your "typical" application's, though.
>
> (twisted's wxreactor uses wxTimer)
>
> Anthony

Great, does shtoom have a wx version now? Was wanting that, I'll check
it out.

IIRC, there are more high-precision timers available on win32 than the
ones used by wxTimer, and if you really wanted you could write a wrapper
for them. I created a wx wrapper for waitable timers on win32 a few
years ago; one could combine this with some other stuff to make them
more high precision ; see
http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/W-P/system/timers/article.php/c5759/

Just some thoughts
David