Typed Python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri Jul 9 13:28:39 EDT 2004

Paramjit Oberoi wrote:

>>Hamilcar Barca wrote:
>>

>>>Contrarily, it took me no more than a day or two to really like the
>>>Smalltalk language and its environment.
>>
>>This is the same experience some of us had with Python...
>
> The language: Python is wonderful, and I took to it more naturally than to
> Smalltalk.  But, the Smalltalk environment (Squeak is the only one I have
> tried) is *really* quite amazing.  I recommend playing with it a bit just
> to get an idea of What Could Be even if you never intend to use it for
> anything substantial.

My point was more subtle than it appeared.  I did in fact
mean the "Python environment", as you mean the Smalltalk
environment...   How I define that environment is perhaps
not obvious, but with a little imagination anyone could
start to think of ways in which I've made *my* Python
_environment_ very, very powerful, easy to work with,
etc.

And yes, I know what Smalltalk can do.

-Peter