VB(ish) replacement

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Tue Jul 20 13:20:08 EDT 2004

Dave Boland wrote:

> The other day I was asked if there is an open source replacement for VB6
> that is cross-platform.  I spent a little bit of time at Barnes-Noble
> and looking at news groups, but don't have a good answer.  Hope you can
> help without geting into a language war.  These will be for commercial
> applications with a GUI.
>
> What they seem to be looking for is:
> 1. High level language, but not necessarly VB compatible.

Python

> 2. OOP

Python

> 3. Reasonalble learning curve

Python

> 4. Cross-platform

Python

> 5. IDE and ability to graphically design windows.

Python + a variety of IDEs

> 6. Distribute programs as .exe's, so some sort of compiler needed.

Python + py2exe - but it is NOT compiled.  For some level of
compilation, pysco is available.

> 7. Serial communications library (RS-232, 485, USB)

Dunno about Python, but I would guess "yes"

http://yapsnmp.sourceforge.net/intro.html
http://www.pycs.net/users/0000231/weblog/2004/02/05.html

> 9. Good performance (not expected to be as fast as C/C++)

If you code it properly, yes.

> 10. Windows are native to each O.S.

Yes, if used with wxWindows as the GUI foundation

> 11. Database support of Access and MySQL

Yes, via odbc type stuff (I think)

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com