Client Side: "Rich Internet Applications" in Python?

Jorgen Grahn jgrahn-nntq at algonet.se
Mon Jul 19 17:18:28 EDT 2004

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 15:20:32 -0800, pleaseSeeFooter at bottomOfEmail.com <eric at zomething.com> wrote:

[lines rewrapped]

> I am considering using (building) a client-side application, rather than a
> browser, for an Internet application.  I am aware there are a few resources
> out there like XUL and various Java clients or classes to build one with.
>
> Has anyone developed a frame work for this sort of thing in Python?  I am
> looking at the Windows platform initially, but of course would like to have
> portability.  I have not built something like this before (in any language),
> so I have only a vague idea of how to structure it, but I think I could be
> most productive working in Python.

I'm not sure exactly what you want to do - write a program or design The
Great Unified Framework, but I'd like to plug the old-fashioned approach: to
design a text-based protocol (a la SMTP, NNTP, HTTP ...) for your specific
application and implement that.  That way there are no dependencies, not
even to Python.

Eric Raymond has a few things to say on the subject, in and around
<http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/taoup/html/ch05s04.html>.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <jgrahn@      ''If All Men Were Brothers,
\X/                algonet.se>    Would You Let One Marry Your Sister?''