what editor do you use?

Jon Perez jbperez808 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 16:18:12 EDT 2004

SciTE is the editor I have been looking for all these
years.

I use it for everything these days (Python, Spyce, PHP,
Java, C#, C/C++, etc...) except when I have to work from
a command line terminal in which case I use vim.

The thing with SciTE is that most of the powerful features
are neatly tucked away until you enable them so it may
look deceptively spartan at first.

Some of the highlights:

* The code folding is superb - it even folds HTML!
* rectangular highlighting is as easy as ALT-mouse drag
* only editor I know of which syntax highlights Javascript,
   HTML + PHP or Python simultaneously - in the same file!
* Can call external utilities.  I use it with Astyle and
   HTML Tidy.  One click reformatting of source code.
* No compulsory learning of a whole bunch of convoluted
   key-combinations
* powerful regex search and replace
* pretty wide support for syntax-highlighting different
   languages (can write your own lexer)
* so much more...