what editor do you use?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Jul 3 20:44:14 EDT 2004

Sticks <barton_finkle at hotmail.com> wrote:
> i'm new to python

Welcome to the club!

> and i was wondering what editors people prefer to use

This is an issue which tends to evoke emotional responses, religious
arguments, and flame wars.  Fortunately, I am above all that childish
nonsense and can tell you that emacs is the One True Editor and if you
use anything else you're a vile, demented, cretinous sociopath.

> and why.

Because I'm not a vile, demented, cretinous sociopath :-)

Seriously, use whatever editor you like.  People use all sorts of
things.  Some people don't even use stand-alone text editors, but rather
some kind of IDE (Integrated Development Environment).  Perhaps the one
hard and fast requirement is that whatever you pick can be made to
either only use spaces or only use tabs for indenting.

My personal belief is that using all spaces is the way to go.  Other
people can make some reasonable arguments why all tabs is better.  But
either is certainly better than mixing them, which will give you
incalculable grief.  If you DAGS for "tab space indent python" you'll
find enough reading material on the topic to keep you busy for a while.