Prothon 0.1.2 is getting close to Alpha [Prothon]

Mark Hahn mark at prothon.org
Thu Jul 8 13:44:08 EDT 2004

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote

> That claim interests me a lot.  I've found recent versions of
> Python to be *very* robust.  I'd trust them with almost anything
> at this point, more than I could say of most code in other
> languages I've used.  Why do you think you can improve on that,
> (or even be on par with it if you're writing the interpreter
> from scratch)?

The claim starts with getting rid of the GIL of course.  OS native threads
allowing pre-emption in C code and blocked IO is considered mandatory by
most for an industrial-strength server serving hundred of users
simultaneously.

Secondly we are putting optional design-by-contract features into the
language that have kept many organizations and projects away from Python.
These range from type-checking variables and functions (using interfaces
actually, not types) to classes (for contractual purposes only).  Yes,
Prothon will have classes available optionally.

Thirdly we have what we believe will be a usable security model.  Python's
is broken and virtually non-existant.

Fourthly a Psyco-like jit will be our standard interpreter.  Python could do
this also of course.

Also we have fixed many Guido regrets and what we think Guido should have
regretted :-)  Any time the language is friendlier, more expressive,
intuitive, and powerful, it is more industrial-strength.

Of course you will have to take a look at the design and judge for yourself
since we don't have a finished language like Python is.  That of course is
our big advantage also.  We could promise anti-gravity right now :-)