IDE

Markus Wankus markus_wankusGETRIDOFALLCAPS at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 08:55:08 EDT 2004

Ville Vainio wrote:

>     Markus> If you don't mind "bleeding edge" software - pydev for
>     Markus> Eclipse is coming along.  You can try it for yourself:
>
>     Markus> http://pydev.sourceforge.net/
>
> Too bad pydev development seems to be stopping - the developer is
> losing interest in the project (or at least that is what is said on
> the project page). I tried it yesterday, it seems very promising
> (though the debugger was very slow).
>
> Eclipse is the only candidate worthy of replacing Emacs in the future,
> so here's to hoping someone will adopt the pydev project at some
> point.

I agree.  I think there are a few other developers on the project that
will take over where Aleks leaves off.  I will definitely get involved
in the future as time permits. I think this project will rock if we
could integrate jpype when it is ready (http://jpype.sourceforge.net/).

But you are correct - you do need some sort of type system in the
language to get all the features of the Java editor.  You could do some
rudimentary stuff (like the way Pythonwin works for instance) right
away.  The big thing we need is a *real* debugger - the editor stuff can
come later.
Seeing just how amazing Eclipse is for Java development makes me wonder
if the designers of Java had more than the language in mind when
developing it.  Perhaps they were thinking ahead to the future of the
IDE they would use to develop the language....

Markus.