Displaying print messages- Emacs

Darren Dale dd55 at cornell.edu
Sun Jul 25 17:26:13 EDT 2004

I am using Emacs Python mode, and my project involves reading large
datafiles and processing large arrays. I have some code that reports the
progress during these time consuming processes. It works fine from the
dos shell, but I would really like to work entirely within Emacs. I have
two questions:

1) Is it possible to have the *Python Output* in Emacs report the
progress during execution? Right now, *Python Output* does not update
until after the script completes.

2) If #1 is possible, can I simulate a progress bar using some character
and '\b'? This works in the dos shell, but the Emacs ouput interprets
'\b' to print '^H' rather than a backspace. (Why does it do that?)

Thank you,
Darren