alternative macro language for TeX?

GerritM gmuller at worldonline.nl
Thu Jul 8 15:05:02 EDT 2004

"Jonathan Fine" <J.Fine at open.ac.uk> schreef in bericht
news:ccjsra$5jk$1 at yarrow.open.ac.uk...

> Well, I suggest using a modern object-oriented language as a front end.
>
> And TeX (plain TeX or even plainer) as the back end.
>
> My preference is to use Python as the front end.
>
> See http://www.pytex.org
>

> Some years ago I developed Active TeX, which has a novel macro
> programming environment.
>
> This was intended to provide an easier framework for writing macros.
>
> I discontinued work on it after a while, in favour of Pytex.
>
> See http://www.pytex.org/activetex/index.html
>

> I've posted this to comp.lang.python as well as the original
> comp.text.tex.
>

> Jonathan

This sounds very interesting.

Reading this page the question arises what layout package will replace the
{article,book,tec} information in the Py/Tex combination. I have the feeling
that Python "only" replaces the macro language, so for the content oriented
author it would still be nice to have all the predefined layout information
that Latex brings in standard.

How active is the PyTex activity? The page is last updated 28 Aug 2003,
nearly a year ago.Is there any plan to use pdfTex also?

kind regards, Gerrit

--
www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/