distutils alternatives?

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Wed Jul 21 01:58:09 EDT 2004

Lonnie Princehouse wrote:
> I'm in a situation where I need to distribute several interdependent
> Python packages.  There are good reasons not to combine them all into
> one package.  Distutils doesn't seem to be able to bundle a
> heterogeneous mix of multiple packages and modules, and so I've
> currently got people launching three installers in the proper sequence
> in order to get software installed, which seems needlessly complicated
> and confusing.

What do you mean by "launch installers"? Invoking "python setup.py
install" does not "launch" anything in the traditional sense.

However, if this is really what you talk about, I suggest a shell script:

#!/bin/sh
(cd dir1;python setup.py install)
(cd dir2;python setup.py install)
(cd dir3;python setup.py install)

Then create a tarball containing all packages in separate
subdirectories, and add a toplevel install script.

Regards,
Martin