VB(ish) replacement

Larry Bates lbates at swamisoft.com
Tue Jul 20 14:24:44 EDT 2004

Others have answered most of the other questions.

> 11. Database support of Access and MySQL

Access databases can be accessed via ODBC,
DAO, or ADO interfaces on Windows.  MySQL has
native interface from Python.

Questions you didn't ask:

12) Can interface to existing COM+ objects, write new
COM+ objects and write Windows services.

Python

13) Can write scripts, applications (console and GUI),
and web services with single language.

Python

14) Has extensive standard library to support email
(SMTP, IMAP), FTP, HTTP, logging, regular expressions,
arrays, and many more.  Third party libraries for
imaging (Python Imaging Library), PDF generation
(ReportLab), Graphing (ReportLab Graphics) and
XML parsing (PyRXP by ReportLab).  Just to name a
few.

Python

15) Easy to write C language extensions for language

Python

16) Code that you can actually understand when you
come back to read it a year later.

Python (priceless ;-)

You might want to take a look at the experience of
another company:

http://python.oreilly.com/news/disney_0201.html

HTH,
Larry Bates